Dec 15, 2012

wet plate collodion

I haven't really ventured into a traditional darkroom since high school (I know, for shame!) but last weekend I got my hands 'wet' (pun intended :) and attempted the 19th century wet plate collodion photographic process.
I am completely enamored by this beautifully difficult, dangerous and potentially toxic chemical process.

Here's the process in a nutshell...
In the darkroom a (clean, polished) plate is coated with collodion, sensitized in a silver nitrate solution, placed into a plate holder, carried outside & placed into the camera & an exposure is made, then back into the darkroom for development...all of which has to be done before the plate dries within a span of 10 minutes.

Each and every image made becomes even more precious because making a single image is so labor-intensive.
Here is my very first tintype.
Wish © Brandy Trigueros 2012